Friday, July 27, 2007

Through the wild cathedral evening the rain unraveled tales


The other day I has a cataclysmic vision of a big brother UK.

I was on the train heading south when the rain starting pouring, going past the Battersea high-rises which were all covered in clouds and rain a computerised feminine voice came over the loud-speakers: "Beggars sometimes operate on thsi train. Please do not encourage them by giving money. If you spot a beggar please inform a member of staff" (or words to that effect).

Looking around the train there were literally hundreds of safety notices: Don't: eat, smoke, hang your head out of the window, put your hands in the door, pull the safety leaver, don't smoke a camel, don't punch the snack trolley, don't do this, don't do that.

Looking around the sanitised carriage there were a few older women devouring their celebrity magazines, seemingly oblivious to all that was around and not caring. It felt like I was in that film where there are no babies in the world anymore, Children of Men. The vision of future London seems to me to be frightfully close to fruition (albeit without the weird baby thing).

Sorry ...I just feel that I realised then and there that things are a little screwy in the UK at the moment. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be here... Maybe I should just chill out, but riding that tain on Monday evening gave me the chills for a country, to paraphrase BRMC, on which I no longer want to waste my love.

No comments:



Check me out, if you dare