Thursday, February 01, 2007

The tempest may howl and the loud thunder roar

Here is Bruce Springsteen playing 'Thunder Road' from the Hammersmith Apollo 1975 concert. You can watch the whole concert on the bonus DVD to the special 30th anniversary edition of Born to Run. It's an incredible song and an amazing performance. Truly astounding. It's my favourite version of the song. It's a slower, more melancholic and moving take than the album version. Unless you have a heart of stone, you will be moved by this performance.



I'm not the only one who likes this song. Here's Damon Gough, aka Badly Drawn Boy playing a cover of 'Thunder Road'. BDB loves the Boss so much that his last album was called Born in the UK.



I don't know what it is about this song, but it enters your skin. I know of people who've said that 'Thunder Road' has changed their lives. The feelings and emotions that this song awakens inside is something that can't be explained. It has many tangled meanings but for me it's a song about love, youth, hope and honesty. If there was only one song that I could take to a desert island, it would be this one. And i'd listen to it all the time and never get bored.

There are loads more versions of the song on YouTube. Check 'Em out for yourselves.

Lone Pilgrim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree



Check me out, if you dare