Thursday, March 08, 2007

I'll just bid farewell till we meet again

Another Dylan post - yes I know... I promise to write about something else tomorrow.

Uncut magazine have a daily treasure trove of stuff found on YouTube. Today’s is the Bob Dylan performance of ‘Restless Farewell’ at Frank Sinatra’s 8oth birthday party. It’s an amazing performance of this song which every time I watch sends shivers down my spine and along the back of my neck.

The look on Sinatra’s face at the end is priceless, he looks like he’s had one of those life changing moments, one of those transcending Dylan moments when you can’t help but be in awe. I’ve been lucky enough to witness a few moments like these myself. He just looks like he’s seen a ghost. Dylan may never be as good a singer as Sinatra was, but I bet that at that moment in time Sinatra would have swapped his voice and all of his success for the ability to write a song only half as good as ‘Restless Farewell’.

But then after the camera pans to David Hasselhof who is trying to fight back the tears…and I laugh which is a shame as I’ve been so moved by the performance. I guess Hasselhof does weird things to you. Here’s my favourite verse from the song:

“Oh ev'ry girl that ever I've touched,
I did not do it harmfully.
And ev'ry girl that ever I've hurt,
I did not do it knowin'ly.
But to remain as friends and make amends
You need the time and stay behind.
And since my feet are now fast
And point away from the past,
I'll bid farewell and be down the line.”


Wow. That Dylan has a way with words. I think he'll make it big some day. Here's the video:



Restless Farewell

3 comments:

Will said...

You're right, Sinatra does look pretty stoked.

Anonymous said...

dylan best tv performance ever

Anonymous said...

Sinatra's face is incredible - he's speechless!



Check me out, if you dare